Position: Legal Officer (Ombudsperson’s Office)
Employment Regime:Seconded/Contracted Post Category: Management Level ML-2
Ref. number: 041 Location:
The Hague, the Netherlands Availability: ASAP
Component/Department/Unit: Kosovo Specialist Chambers/Ombudsperson’s Office Security Clearance Level: EU SECRET or equivalent Open to Contributing Third States: Yes
The position of Legal Officer is located in the Ombudsperson’s Office, within the Registry. The Legal Officer reports to the Ombudsperson.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• To provide specialized legal and judicial administrative advice and support to the Ombudsperson’s Office;
• To draft internal instructions and operating procedures for the set-up of a fully functioning Ombudsperson’s Office;
• To liaise with other units and organs, as required by the Registrar or Ombudsperson, in all matters related to the mandate of the Ombudsperson’s Office;
• To advise and assist the Ombudsperson on legal and operational matters relating to the protection of fundamental human rights and freedoms according to the role and function to be provided for in the Rules of Procedure and Evidence;
• To advise and assist on the implementation and drafting of relevant policies, regulations and directives relating to the work of the Ombudsperson on the basis of the relevant Rules of Procedure and Evidence;
• To monitor relevant developments in Kosovo and international law;
• To draft legal documents related to the referral procedures under Article 113(2) and 135 (4) of the Constitution of Kosovo to the Specialist Chamber of the Constitutional Court;
• To draft legal documents related to the referral procedures under Article 135(3) of the Constitution of Kosovo to the President of the Specialist Chambers;
• To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Managers.
• Temporary re-assignment to other units of the Registry is foreseen due to operational demands/requirements.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
• Successful completion of University studies of at least three (3) years attested by a diploma OR a qualification in the National Qualifications Framework which is equivalent to level 6 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the first cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area e.g. Bachelor’s degree.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
Specification of Education and Experience
• The above mentioned University degree must be in at least one of the following fields of expertise: Law, Human Rights, or other related university studies;
• Minimum of four (4) years of experience in Human Rights/Ombudsperson’s related matters, in criminal justice (procedural) or judicial administration related matters;
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Excellent legal drafting and reporting skills;
• Absolute tact and discretion;
• Ability to prioritize and manage a high workload independently when required;
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills in English (verbal, written and presentational);
• Ability to work productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment and produce accurate work under pressure and in difficult circumstances;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective, constructive working relationships with people of different national and/or cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
• Prior work experience within an international, hybrid or national criminal court or in the criminal justice field and in particular in crisis areas;
• Experience in legal advice/administration related to ombudsperson’s matters;
• Experience in interacting with lawyers and judges from different backgrounds;
• Knowledge of the functioning of the EU and in particular CSDP missions;
• Good understanding of the political, cultural and security situation of the Balkans, in particular Kosovo.